I need to figure out create a blog to my personal web domain. I’d like to be able to upload my thoughts/pics just as easily as you do. I would name it something like: blog.mydomain.net. There are several options that I’ve seen.
- Blogger – free – but not as customizable. I’ve tried to transfer a blog to my domain but not had much luck.
- MarsEdit – seems like a good candidate – $24.95 http://www.red-sweater.com/marsedit/
- WordPress – seems like a steep learning curve but free – http://wordpress.org/
There's a gazillion ways to blog now, and honestly all of the good ones (as opposed to a MySpace blog page) are going to help you create a full-fledged weblog.
So, to go through some options:
- I would skip iWeb unless you want to keep it simple… I mean like Forrest Gump-simple.
- Many pro bloggers love WordPress …
- … but many also really like Six Apart's TypePad ( http://www.sixapart.com/typepad/), or their Movable Type (http://www.sixapart.com/movabletype/) if you're gonna get serious. I know a teacher who really likes TypePad for distributing information to her students.
Note that MarsEdit is blog publishing software for the Mac, intended for use with a blog service such as TypePad, Blogger, or your own server. Note, also, that MarsEdit is in transition of ownership, and I wouldn't put down money on shareware in those circumstances.
As someone who does not want to spend a lot of time maintaining a blog, I appreciate Blogger's simplicity. (It should be stated here that Blogger and Blogspot are the same service.) I really really like that I can send an email or a text message to publish to my blog.