I’ve been looking for a smooth way to add contact information from text I’ve copied from a web site. The key is to use Apple’s Data Detectors feature in TextEdit.
First, you want to set TextEdit to be always ready for this action:
- Open TextEdit.
- Go to TextEdit menu > Preferences…
- Turn on Data Detectors, at the very bottom of the New Document tab.
- (I also like to change my default document format to Plain Text, but that’s not necessary to this procedure.)
- Close the Preferences window.
OK, now you’re ready to do this anytime:
- Create a new TextEdit document.
- Paste in any kind of contact information, e.g. name, address, email, phone number.
- Hover over what you just pasted. See that little drop-down arrow? Click it.
- You’ll see what to do from there!
Here’s a quick screencast. Enjoy!